Monday, October 16, 2006

Our First Adoption

Well it finally happened: Our first adoption. Laura was handed over officially to her family last night. I think we all handled it pretty well. We all cried a little but I think I was so calm about it and I felt very much at peace. I think the fact that the Mahlers stayed here for three days was so helpful for all of us. I know that my job was done and Evelyn and Chris can offer her things I cannot. I was happy with the way things turned out. It was really interesting to watch the whole process of how families receive their babies. I thought that this was going to happen at the big O but it took place in a meeting room at the notary office at 5 pm yesterday afternoon and not at 10 am at the hotel like we thought. So last night I had to leave her with her new mom and dad and I am sure it was a little traumatic for her, but I know she will be all right. It is just going to hurt for a little while. The Mahlers will be in town until they leave for Guangzhou on the 20th, I think Chris said. On the 23rd they make application for an American passport for Laura Joan and then they leave on the 25th to go back to the US. This morning when I woke up at 4:30am, my first thought was of Laura and how she did during the night. It was a little sad to see her empty crib but we will soon have some one in there. I think Olivia would be perfect.

Olivia you ask? Who is Olivia? I went to the big O to sign the contract on Thursday and I brought Olivia home. I saw her when I we found Sean and I have been wanting to get another heart baby and Olivia was it. I now have Dr Li's next three heart babies. They will be going for their echos this afternoon at 2:30 so we can find out what is wrong with their hearts. Olivia is such a quiet baby. I have hardly heard her cry. She sleeps a lot and eats well although her schedule is a little strange. She will go for six hours refusing to eat and then she will down a 8oz bottle. She also sweats a lot and I think that has to do with the heart condition she has. She is a beautiful baby but she is extremely fair and is very friendly. We needed an easy baby because the other two are still such an effort to take care of. I wanted to name her Brittany after my friend Stephanie's daughter but I was shot down because of Britney Spears. I then mentioned the name Olivia which Jen and Becca had suggested. Kay, Evelyn and Chris seemed to like that, so Olivia it was. So sorry Boo. (Jen and Becca are here from the US to volunteer and they have been so eager to come over and help with the babies)

Nathaniel and Hank are improving. British Laura's Mom sent some stuff called Gripe Water from the UK and I cannot tell you how it has helped the two of them!!!! It is magic. I have been giving the two of them this Gripe water twice a day and it has made the world of difference. They do not cry so much or as often and it has helped Hank not throw up so much. The two of them are sleeping so much better. Rachel is still being such a good baby and Sean is eating and eating. He has made up for lost time. He is looking so good that you can not recognise the baby we first brought home.

It would seem we are getting closer and closer to getting Jade, Angel, Benjamin, Gabriel, Michael and Sarah's adoption papers medicals done. We got the paperwork last Thursday. Now we have to wait for them to give the okay to go to the hospital. Hopefully that will happen soon.

It is now 7:15pm and we are back from the hospital. Olivia and Rachel both have VSD the same as Jade but the really great news................SEAN'S HEART IS HEALTHY, THERE IS NO PROBLEM. That was so exciting to hear. So no zipper for him. We are going to have a healthy non special needs boy in our house. That has got to be really unusual.

The saga of the dryer continues. I found out this morning that we are not getting the dryer after all. I have not done anything about that for three weeks. Ruth, one of the Australian women, who lives in the complex gave me a lead and I am going to track that down today. The American dryers with the transformers suck up an enormous amount of electricity and so I guess it might be better not to get one. I will keep you updated about that.

I did download the CD for the new camera only to discover that some of the important instructions are in Chinese. I have got to find an easier way to do the pictures or learn to read Chinese quickly. LOL. My frustration with learning the language continues. I could not get the taxi driver to understand that I wanted to have the Mahlers go to the Sheraton hotel. Out of six characters and information like big, famous American hotel he did not understand. I said "ding" instead of "deng". Some days I am so exasperated with my inability to make myself understood. I landed going up going with Nina to the hotel to make sure they got there okay. When I got there I got a lesson in Chinese about the ding and the deng from the taxi driver. So to sum up: No pictures.

Love and laughter,
Amanda without Laura, but with a house of 16 babies to keep me busy

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so wonderfull to see that Laura has a forever family now. I am glad to hear that Sarah's adoption paperwork is getting done. I am still hoping that it would be possible for us to adopt her. I will need to know all of her info to give to our agency director. I will also be praying for her during her surgery. Christy

Anonymous said...

Welcome Olivia! We can't wait to see your sweet face.

We are all missing the photos but appreciate the descriptions you post.

Anonymous said...

Amanda:

How I love your blog! How I admire your courage and dream.

I was wondering about Antoinette...is she still with you? Will she be available for adoption from an agency? She has always been my favorite (although, really how can you choose only one--I love 'em all!).

Blessing the work of your hands,

Teri
(from Iowa)

Anonymous said...

Dear Teri:

Antoinette is a NSN which means I have no idea what is happening with her family until they are about to come to China. With Laura's adoption that was four days before her family flew in. The CCAA are the ones who will match her to a family. So it is going to be a big surprise for all of us.

Love and laughter,
Amanda

Anonymous said...

Amanda:

Thanks for the reply about darling Antoinette. I was unaware that she was a NSN baby.

I look forward to watching all your babies fly away to their new homes.

It must be hard, and yet, I know you are doing what you do for the very purpose of giving the babies life in a forever family.

You allow visitor/helpers, right? Who knows, but that someday we might all show up to love on your babies!

Sincerely,

Teri (from Iowa)

Anonymous said...

Dear Teri:

I love having visitors and if you should want to come and volunteer let me know. We have people here all the time. You too can come on down and lay the love on thick. The babies need that.

Love and laughter,
Amanda