Monday, November 27, 2006

I saw Amanda's future life

On September 13, 2005, six babies were delivered to my apartment. I had no idea what lay in store for us. I knew what I had to do, but at the time I did not really think too much about the future. I was too busy changing diapers, making bottles and washing clothes to think too much about where they were going to land up. This past week was an especially sweet time for me. I saw just where Amanda and I had been heading and that was so incredibly joyful that I tried so spend as much time as I could with the Dobsons, watching their family dynamic and being so grateful for the opportunity to see Amanda's future life. I got to watch as Amanda's affections transferred from me over to her family. Amanda had been sick and I was worried that I was handing over a sick baby to the new parents, but it turned out to be a real blessing because she wanted to be cuddled and Amy carried her in the hip hammock for two or three days. Little could I have imagined that in the moment that she was abandoned such an awesome blessing was in the making for her. As I listened to the Dobson's quest to adopt and I realised that the stories almost happened simultaneously. I have been so fortunate to have a front row seat in watching all of this happen. There were days that I did not want to leave them and go back to the foster home becuase I just loved the feeling so much. On the last day, I had been hugging Amanda as they were getting ready to leave for the airport and while in my arms, Amanda reached for her dad. My job was done!!! There was no trauma and uncontrollable crying. It was smooth and easy and Amanda needs were paramount to all of us.

I came home to the other 16 babies (three are still in the PICU) and with a renewed sense of gratitude for the job that I get to do, for the fact that there are families being prepared for each one of them and at some point our lives are going to intersect and my purpose to help the babies will be fulfilled. They will have families of their own which is my greatest wish for each one of them. Some times it is hard to remember when you are in the midst of it all the daily chores, that this is the path we are walking. I will need a reminder from time to time I am sure and the memory of the days together I will treasure in my heart always.

So now we wait...again. Nina's family have still not received their date for traveling to China and Jonas' family is still a mystery. I will get to do this again soon. How blessed I am!!!

Love and laughter,
Amanda who has so much to be thankful for.